Divrei ben Abuya

In the Babylonian Talmud, Elisha ben Abuya was a great sage who lost his faith in God. So great was he that his and subsequent generations continued learning from him - to the extent that the authors of the Talmud needed to create a story that would serve to legitimise his teachings despite his apostasy. His lesson is a lesson for us all: that great stature is not contingent upon blind faith, nor high learning upon the observation of Torah precepts.

July 09, 2006

I was recently criticised by a good friend of mine for not including anything about my life in this blog. In his words, "you never write anything about your friends or about yourself". Well, his name is Dave (so there you go, Dave, you made the blog) and the following is a little blurb about my day today.

Today I went out on a boat (What? Everything I do has to relate to Semitic languages and Tanakh?? Sheesh!). My father joined a particular club, through which we are able to take out a boat a certain number of times a year. Today was our first time! My dad drove the boat most of the time, although he also handed the controls over to me for what constituted my first lesson. We went out past the bridge (starting from Rose Bay), turned it around and headed over to Clifton Gardens where we dropped anchor and ate lunch. After that, we took off for Manly, turned around again and headed home. All up, I was on the boat for about four hours.

It was wonderful! I can really see how such an experience could become completely addictive. Admittedly, I started to feel a little under the weather as we were heading home, but I've been assured that such feelings pass as one becomes accustomed to the sensation. Also, even though I am thoroughly grounded again and sitting in my room, the keyboard before me seems to sway slightly as though I were still onboard. But it is not unpleasant.

Having previously been a student at UTS, I look forward to joining their diving society ("DOUTS") as an alumnus, after which I plan to use this boat for diving. There is plenty of room onboard for the storage of tanks, and more than enough room on deck for getting geared-up. Compared to paying anywhere between $60 and $90 for the hiring of equipment, DOUTS-membership guarantees me as little as $30! You hear that, Dave (and Sean and Toffee)? WE'RE GOING DIVING.

Well, wasn't this little excursion into my own personal life entertaining? Now, back to work!

3 Comments:

At 11:08 AM , Blogger Flyingcowman said...

What's this "everyday life" garbage? Give me semitic languages, or give me death.

Diving does, however, sound cool.

 
At 1:48 AM , Blogger Daniel said...

Yeah man, you sold out. Now, back to Amharic.

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger SFH said...

GE'EZ! Sheesh. Amharic is one of several modern Ethiopic languages, and the one that most of the Ethiopians presently living in Israel speak (well, that and Tigre). The script that Amharic uses is referred to as the Ge'ez script, after the archaic Ge'ez language in which it was first developed. (Perhaps a little like the way that English is sometimes said to be written in a Latin script).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home